Dull or dark skin is usually a result of too much sun exposure, environmental pollution, poor lifestyle choices, stress, or prolonged use of chemical-based cosmetics.
Many of us work hard to achieve fair and flawless skin. The market’s flooded with skin-lightening lotions and potions. But most of these products are brimming with harmful chemicals that can ultimately damage your skin! Oftentimes, they’re really expensive, too.
You can save yourself some time and money by using these effective natural remedies to lighten and brighten up your complexion. The best part? You probably already have most, if not all, of them in your kitchen!
Four ways to lighten your skin naturally
#1: Plain yoghurt
Yoghurt, a by-product of milk, contains many nutrients that your skin will just love. It also contains lactic acid, which has natural bleaching properties. Try one of these remedies, which are suitable for any skin type:
- Gently rub plain yoghurt onto your skin. Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes, then rinse it off with warm water. Do this once daily for several weeks for a noticeably lighter complexion.
- Mix one tablespoon of plain yoghurt with one teaspoon of raw honey. Apply the mixture to your face and neck. Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes, then wash it off with warm water. Do this daily to improve your skin tone and brighten your complexion.
- Add two drops of lemon juice to some oatmeal and plain yoghurt to form a thick paste. Apply the paste as a face mask. Leave it on for up to 20 minutes, then rinse off with cool water. Use this mask whenever your skin requires some moisture.
#2: Fresh oranges
Yup, you guessed it – the most important ingredient in skincare is vitamin C! That’s why oranges are great for your skin – because they’re abundant in this vitamin. Plus, they have bleaching properties that can lighten up your skin tone. You can use oranges in these different ways to whiten your skin:
- Combine two tablespoons of fresh orange juice and a pinch of powdered turmeric. Apply the mixture to your face and neck before bed. Wash it off after 20 to 30 minutes. Do this daily. PS: You can use this mask on your hands and legs, too!
- Grind dried orange peels into a powder. Mix one tablespoon of the powdered peels with one tablespoon of plain yoghurt to make a paste. Apply the paste to your skin. Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes, then rinse off with cool water. This will help lighten sun spots and other marks on your face. Don’t do this more than twice a week.
The acidic property in lemons works as a very effective bleaching agent for skin. Plus, the high content of vitamin C in these fruits encourages new cell growth. There’s no wonder they’re great for achieving a radiant complexion! Here’s how to use lemons on your skin:
- Dip a clean cotton ball in fresh lemon juice and apply it directly to your face. You can even rub a cut lemon directly over dark areas of your face and allow the juice to stick to your skin. Leave the juice on for at least 30 minutes, then rinse your face with cool water. Do this once daily. This remedy is amazing for preventing the development of scars on your face.
- Mix one teaspoon of lemon juice with a bit of powdered milk and raw honey. Apply the mixture to your skin. Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes, then rinse your face with warm water. Do this daily or every other day.
#4: Aloe vera
Aloe vera can alleviate pigmentation problems and restore your skin’s original colour. Hyperpigmentation is one of the main causes of an uneven skin tone. If you don’t have your own aloe plant, you can buy aloe vera gel at the supermarket or pharmacy. This is how you can use aloe to cool down your skin and help with skin cell regeneration:
- Cut the outer layers of an aloe vera leaf. Squeeze out the thick, jelly-like substance. Apply the jelly thoroughly to your skin. Leave it on for about 20 minutes, then wash it off with warm water. Do this at least twice daily for two weeks for best results.
Important to note: When you use any of these remedies, be sure there aren’t any open wounds on your skin. Although natural, these remedies are pretty strong and may sting or inflame broken skin.