For years now, you’ve known that eating pomegranate seeds and drinking pomegranate juice is a healthy thing to do. The fruit is high in vitamin C, polyphenol compounds, catechins and anthocyanins. Those qualities alone make this ruby red fruit a nutritional powerhouse to include in your diet regularly and to fight free radical damage to your DNA.
But there’s even more you should know about pomegranates that make them both a powerful disease fighter as well as an effective anti-ageing substance. Want to find out more? Then read on.
The anti-ageing benefits of pomegranates
Pomegranates are incredible, somewhat mystical fruits. The world of natural medicine has been using the seeds of this fruit for centuries to treat stomach aches, conjunctivitis, osteoporosis, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, viruses and even diabetes. Yet, it wasn’t until pretty recently that researchers found out about the fruit’s impressive anti-ageing properties.
Pomegranates contain active compounds that stimulate keratin cells, which are the cells present in healthy, youthful skin. These compounds also help stimulate collagen and elastin production, helping preserve firmness, tone and volume.
Another skin-loving compounds that pomegranates contain is punicic acid; an omega-5 fatty acid that helps your skin hold onto collagen. It also helps rehydrate skin and prevent moisture loss, giving your skin a plumper, more radiant look.
Due to pomegranate’s natural rejuvenating effect on skin, anti-ageing experts have deemed this fruit an ultimate natural anti-ageing solution. And that it is! Pomegranates can help improve skin tone, texture and elasticity, as well as prevent fine lines, redness, dark spots and wrinkles.
How to use pomegranate on your skin in a homemade face mask
One of my favourite ways to use pomegranate on my skin is in the form of a raw honey and pomegranate anti-ageing face mask. It’s really easy to mix up and apply. Here’s what to do:
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1 fresh pomegranate
What to do:
- Peel your pomegranate and place the seeds in a blender.
- Add the honey and blend until a smooth mixture is formed with the seeds completely blended.
- Apply the mask to your face and neck (make sure your skin is clean). Be sure to avoid the delicate eye area.
- Leave the mask on for 30 minutes, then rinse it off with cool water.
- Follow up with a toner or moisturiser of your choice.
How this mask will help:
- It will gently exfoliate your skin
- It will leave your skin feeling fresh and clean
- It will leave your complexion looking clear and supple
- It will stimulate the production of collagen
- It will replenish moisture in your skin
- It will give your skin an incredible glow
Try this mask out for yourself to experience the wonderful skin health benefits of pomegranates!