Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day. Failing to start your day with a nutritious meal will only lead to a lack of energy, decreased productivity levels and pesky cravings late in the day. And you don’t want that, now, do you?
I came across this downright delicious recipe for raw superfood bars a couple of months ago and have been making them almost weekly ever since. I can’t seem to get enough of them!
These tasty bars are far more budget-friendly than store-bought versions, only take a couple of minutes to make, and are perfect for an on-the-go breakfast. Because sometimes we just don’t have the time before work to cook up a big brekkie, right?
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do. Enjoy!
Raw superfood energy bars recipe
Makes: 6 bars
- 8 dates, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp virgin organic coconut oil, softened
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp cacao nibs
- Dash of salt
- Coconut butter, softened
What to do:
- Combine the dates, sunflower seeds, almonds, shredded coconut, coconut oil and salt in your food processor or blender.
- Blend the ingredients on high-speed until a textured batter is formed (should take two to three minutes). If the blending becomes difficult, start with one tablespoon of coconut oil and then add more as needed.
- Transfer the batter to a bowl and stir in the chia seeds and cacao nibs.
- Use your hands to form the batter into a rectangular shape on a baking sheet. It should be 1 cm to 1.5 cm thick.
- Place in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes to let it harden, then remove and slice into six bars.
- If you’re using coconut butter, drizzle or spread it on top for added deliciousness.
You can store your energy bars in the fridge for up to four days.