If you’re anything like me, you’re all for recipes that pack both lots of flavour and a nutritional punch!
This tasty cherry and beet smoothie is dark purple in colour, and is laced with an array of nutrients that are great for every aspect of your health, but especially your natural detox system AKA your liver. Try it out!
The nutritional benefits of this cherry and beet smoothie
In this smoothie, you’ll reap the liver-supporting benefits of beets. You’ll also take in a fantastic dose of inflammation-fighting cherries, ginger and cacao.
All other ingredients on the list are just as beneficial, and will provide your body with a great punch of all the vitamins and minerals that it needs to reboot and refuel!
The smoothie has a taste that manages to be both earthy and zesty at the same time, which is absolutely delightful first thing in the morning or after a workout.
How to blend up a tasty cherry and beet smoothie
- ¼ cup almonds, cashews or hazelnuts
- ¾ cup cherries, fresh or frozen
- 2.5cm piece of fresh ginger
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 beet, peeled and chopped
- ½ banana, fresh or frozen
- 1 tsp lime zest, grated
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- Small handful oats (optional, for a filling breakfast smoothie)
- 2 tbsp hemp protein (optional, for a post-workout pick-me-up)
What to do:
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Spread the nuts of your choice out on a baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until the nuts are lightly roasted. They should be golden brown in colour.
- Remove the nuts from the oven and transfer to your blender. Add the remaining ingredients to your blender and whiz on high-speed for one minute or until completely smooth.
- Divide the smoothie into two glasses, serve and enjoy!