Do you want to know how to make coconut milk? If you regularly use coconut milk in your cooking, learning how to make coconut milk will save you a considerable amount of money.
That’s because it’s hard to find coconut milk that’s not only organic, but also free of guar gum and other additives, and packaged in BPA-free containers. Here’s how to make your own silky smooth coconut milk at home!
How to make homemade coconut milk
- 1 cup dried coconut chips
- 2 cups filtered water
- Heat water on the stove until it’s hot, but not boiling.
- Put coconut chips in blender. Pour hot water over the chips.
- Blend on high for two minutes, or until you get a creamy, thick homemade coconut milk.
- Line a strainer or colander with cheesecloth. Pour the coconut milk through the lined strainer into a bowl. This will remove any larger remaining coconut meat. When you’re done pouring the coconut milk through the strainer, ball up the cheesecloth and give it a good squeeze to press the remaining liquid through. You can use your residual coconut caught in the cheesecloth in a recipe that calls for coconut, or you can toss it.
- Transfer your homemade coconut milk from the bowl into a mason jar or other container. Use the homemade coconut milk immediately, or keep in the refrigerator for up to four days.
When you make coconut milk this way, it’s delightfully fresh, creamy, thick, and full-bodied. You won’t go back to store-bought milk again!
PS: For my favourite coconut milk skincare recipes, go here now!