With its perfect mix of carbohydrates and protein to speed up muscle recovery, you can’t ask for a better post-workout drink than chocolate milk! Experts recommend it for serious workouts (an hour or longer) or intense sprints.
Enjoy this delicious and healthy homemade chocolate milk recipe!
Homemade chocolate milk recipe
For the syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water and sugar to a boil, whisking until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add the salt and cocoa, mixing well with a whisk.
- Let the mixture simmer until thick, whisking continually to keep from scalding.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and allow to cool.
- Add the vanilla extract.
- Pour the syrup into an airtight container and refrigerate for an hour.
For the chocolate milk
- 1 tbsp homemade syrup
- 1 cup skim milk
Combine the syrup and milk in a glass and stir.