Cherries are one of my favourite fruits. There’s nothing like fresh organic cherries in the spring- or summertime. In the summer, I buy them in bulk and then pit and freeze them to use them when they’re out of season.
Anthocyanins are antioxidants that give cherries their deep red colour. Studies have shown that it’s this antioxidant that gives cherries their impressive anti-inflammatory properties.
Pomegranate arils, on the other hand, are a tasty addition to this smoothie. They’re loaded with antioxidants and boast numerous health benefits, including staving off signs of ageing as well as heart disease.
This is one of my favourite smoothies to blend up for breakfast in the morning – I hope you love it as much as I do!
Chocolate cherry breakfast smoothie recipe
- 1/2 ripe banana, sliced
- 1 cup frozen cherries, pitted
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 1/2 cup spinach
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
- 1 tsp cacao powder
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Start by adding the almond milk to your blender, followed by the rest of the ingredients.
- Blend on high for 30 seconds or until the smoothie is creamy.
- Decant into a tall glass and get sipping!