Seven reasons to become totally obsessed with coconut water

The coconut water craze isn’t going away anytime soon, and there’s an array of reasons as to why. Coconut water is extracted from young green coconuts to provide a refreshing, isotonic drink.

 

Here are a few benefits of this natural, nutritious source of goodness.

large (2)

 

Seven benefits of coconut water

#1: It’s high in nutrients

Coconut water consists of 95% H2O, and the other 5% is so nutritionally rich that it’s actually being acknowledged as an overall health and immune booster.

#2: It’s ideal for weight loss

That’s because this water is practically fat-free and contains less than 2.2 g of natural sugar per 100 ml. It also suppresses the appetite and provides a feeling of fullness for longer thanks to its rich nature.

#3: It’s a blend of essential electrolytes

These electrolytes are very similar (almost identical, actually) to human blood plasma. Some say that that’s it’s the ultimate cure for a hangover (I’m yet to put it to the test!).

#4: It’s a healthy alternative to sports drinks

Coconut water is rich in potassium, magnesium, calcium, sodium and phosphorus with no added sugar and preservatives, making it a great healthy alternative to sports drinks.

#5: It has anti-ageing properties

This is due to its high amino acid content, enzymes and plant growth hormones known as cytokinins.

#6: It’s good for digestive health

Coconut water is calming on the digestive system and acts as a source of fibre to prevent acid reflux, heart burn and other digestive problems.

#7: It’s extremely hydrating

It’s brilliant for boosting your hydration levels, especially after a loss of mineral-rich fluids. It’s also effective in reducing blood pressure to its electrolyte content that acts as a balancing mechanism.

Interesting, right? I now understand why the Hawaiians refer to coconut water as “Heaven’s Dew”!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s