Mindfulness and meditation is a wonderful way to reduce your stress levels and become more in tune with what’s happening in the present moment. It is, however, easier said than done! Here are some tips for practising mindfulness in your everyday life.
Five basic meditation tips
- Choose to sit cross-legged on the floor or in an upright chair with both feet on the ground. Hold your back up straight and let your shoulders drop, resting your arms in your lap. Take a deep breath in and close your eyes.
- Pay attention to your breathing, focusing on the air moving in and out of your lungs.
- As thoughts enter your mind, don’t let them distract you from your breathing. Acknowledge your thoughts and then bring your attention back to your breathing.
- Don’t judge your thoughts, yourself or your distractions. All you need to do is notice that your mind is constantly wandering and try to bring your focus back to your breathing.
- Try to do this for ten minutes a day for one week. The more often you meditate, the easier it will be to keep your attention where you want it to be.