Do you have curly or wavy hair? Then I’m sure you’re all too familiar with those days when no detangling tool can make it through your hair.
After lots of tugging and pulling, you may want to give up – but have no fear! Simply take a deep breath, relax and grab dried marshmallow root and a few other simple ingredients!
This homemade detangler will help you save a buck or two, and also untangle and make your hair more manageable in an instant! Here’s the recipe…
The detangling abilities of marshmallow root
Marshmallow root is pretty well-known for its detangling abilities because of its mucinogenic properties, which help soften hair naturally and give good slip. The prep work for this detangler is a little bit complex, but it’s still super easy to make. Let’s get started…
Marshmallow root hair detangler recipe
- 1 1/4 cup distilled water
- 1/4 cup dried marshmallow root
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp olive or jojoba oil
- 10 drops grapefruit seed extract (or any other essential oil)
To make and use it:
- Place the marshmallow root in a pot with the water and heat it for 15 to 30 minutes on low heat until it thickens and forms into a gel. The longer it heats, the thicker it’ll be. Stir the mixture throughout to ensure you have an even consistency.
- When your mixture is as thick as you’d like it to be, turn off the heat and allow it to cool.
- To strain the mixture, place one knee high pantyhose over a cup and pour the mixture over the pantyhose. Remove the pantyhose from the cup and squeeze it in a downward motion to strain the gel and separate it from the dried marshmallow root.
- Add the apple cider vinegar, olive or jojoba oil and essential oil.
- Use the gel as it is for a natural detangling agent. Or, pour it into a spray bottle and add water until it thins out enough to spray. Shake well before each use.
Please note that this mixture needs to be stored in the fridge. It’ll last for around two weeks.