For the past couple of years, one of the most beneficial practices I’ve adopted to regain my health is taking regular detox baths. I can’t recommend them to you enough!
I’ve used various ingredients in my detox baths in the past – clays, baking soda, Epsom salts, Dead Sea salts – you name it! Some of these ingredients can be pretty pricy though – especially clay mixtures and Dead Sea salts…
And that’s why I’m sharing my secret Epsom salts, baking soda and lavender essential oil detox bath recipe with you today! The ingredients won’t break the bank, and are all very effective when it comes to helping your body detox. Read on to find out more.
Why you should take a detox bath
The reasons are simple:
- To relieve detox symptoms
- To soothe a migraine or headache
- To ease sore muscles or achy joints
- To boost your immunity
- To speed up healing when you’re sick
- To keep your toxic burden low
Now let me elaborate a bit more on what each of the ingredients in this particular lavender detox bath will do for your body…
The benefits of Epsom salts
Epsom salts are great for relieving pain and stress. They’re a rich source of magnesium and can therefore also help your nerves function properly. Plus, they’re wonderful for your skin!
When you soak your body in an Epsom salts bath, the salts will instantly pull the toxins right out of you while restoring your body’s magnesium and sulfate levels. I add Epsom salts to my bath at least twice a week. An Epsom salts bath always helps pick me up when I’m feeling run down or feel a cold coming on.
The benefits of baking soda
Baking soda is another fantastic natural remedy that’s good for both detoxing as well as skincare. It has three main benefits:
- It alkalises your body
- It washes the acid waste out of your body
- It softens your skin
The benefits of lavender essential oil
I personally adore the clean aroma of lavender essential oil. Its benefits include:
- It can eliminate nervous tension
- It can relieve pain
- It can disinfect your skin
- It can enhance blood circulation
And now for the detox bath recipe!
Soothing lavender detox bath recipe
- Add a cup of Epsom salts and a cup of baking soda to your bath water.
- Next, add five drops of lavender essential oil.
- Hop in and soak for 20 to 40 minutes.
Do the bath at least one a week. I suggest staying in the bathwater for at least 30 minutes each time. Your body will need that much time to detox and absorb minerals.
Important to note:
- If you suffer from any health problems, check with your doctor before trying this detox bath.
- If you feel very uncomfortable, dizzy or short of breath, get out of the bath immediately.
- If you’ve never done a detox bath before, start with only 1/2 cup of Epsom salts and work up.
- Make sure your bathwater isn’t too hot or you won’t be able to stay in for too long.
- If you don’t feel like doing a full bath, do a foot bath instead!
- Don’t use soap in your bathwater – it’ll interfere with the detoxification process.
- Always have a large glass of cold water next to your bathtub so you can rehydrate during your detox bath.